Wednesday 27 April 2011

The Good Pair


I saw her again today. She is quite beautiful. She catches the same bus as me. You probably think me foolish to fall in love with a complete stranger, someone that doesn’t even see me. There is that special something about her. The gentle way she glances out of the window, the way she gets up to get off the bus, the way she walks away from the bus stop to work or college or even home as she might work at night…
I travel two more stops and get off myself. If I had any sense I would get of at her stop and walk the extra few metres and she might notice me then. We might even strike up a conversation, about the weather or work or how late the bus is. But I don’t. I don’t relish making a fool of myself. What if she laughed in my face? She might even say “Stop pestering me”. I couldn’t bear that. I am at the mercy of my timidity and the possible humiliation of stuttering some feeble excuse…
I rarely see her at night so I think she may be a student after all. I travel alone on the bus then. No, that is not true there are 40 or 50 others crammed on but I feel alone because she is not there. Well at least I like my job, they think well of me, well as much as they can think well of any data entry operator. In time I might become a senior data entry operator or even a data entry supervisor. No, I agree that is nothing to get excited about…
I am upset because she is not on the bus this morning. It’s not the end of the semester so she must have moved. That is what I have worked out. I don’t fancy having to make the journey without some interest. I’ll have to start doing a crosswords or something. I start digging in my briefcase…
“Excuse me” say a voice. “May I take that seat” I shuffle across to the sit by the window and then look up. “Oh, hello” says my beautiful girl. “I often see you on this bus don’t I?” I am dumbfounded but manage a weak smile. I nod and am about to say something when she carries on, “I’ve just moved house, I am batching with some other girls. Trouble is the bus is more crowded nearer the city”. I finally pluck up courage and blurt out, “I’ve been waiting a long time to meet you”. Her look was so beautiful I knew at once I had said the right thing…
“Sophie” she said.
“Steven” I responded.
We sound like a good pair, don’t we?

22 comments:

  1. That does sound like a good pair. Well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It DOES sound like a good pair! Hope it works out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's always best to fall in love with a stranger..you can change buses if they disappoint you..it all felt strangely natural..probably on every bus in every corner of the world there is a stranger who brings meaning to one person's lonely day..this lucky pair have at least exchanged names...'batching'..definitely word of the day! Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charming story.Autobiographical?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew, I was getting worried near the end!

    Nicely told!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed that. The strangest meetings can lead to the greatest happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got a lot of romance left in your soul, Rob. Get it all out and down in words - please! Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw that's so sweet that the girl finally spoke to him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm feeling a tug on the old heartstrings. How sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really captured the longing in the first part of this story. Who hasn't had these thoughts, riding the bus or train endlessly, seeing someone, and wondering. Very nice, this has rekindled memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fanatically portrayed; you made the emotions by own and that is always magically.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet story; so full of feeling. A definite pull on the heart strings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got the same feeling I experience when I watch a wonderful romantic comedy. I like it!
    Here's my 3WW bit:
    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/04/27/childhood-folly/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admit I would love to read the end of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet and Special.. very special pair, that..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful--both the story and the writing of it. I read some ambiguity in the ending sentence, "We sound like a good pair, don't we?" Very well done, as expected!

    ReplyDelete
  17. really dug the way you weaved this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. :) Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoy your blog and would love to pass The Versatile Blogger award on to you! Here are the guidelines:
    1.) Winners- Put the above image in your blog.

    2.) Include a link back to the person who gave it to you.

    3.) Tell 10 things about yourself

    4.) Award 3 other bloggers

    5.) Contact the bloggers you awarded and let them know they won.

    Thank you for the great reads!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoops - you can copy the image from my site: http://practicingcontemplative.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was sooo romantic! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete