Tuesday 29 January 2013

Salty tears are shed



What is this yearning
Of man for the restless sea
For what do we search?

Its white horses leap

In spring with a briny scent
and breeze in our hair

Languid summer calms

And then we dare to enter
The womb of origin

We are stirred by fall

As storms rage leashing fury
At our long absence

Brave mortals who dare

Then in winters frigid calm
Seek answers again

What is this yearning

Of man for the restless sea
For what do we search?

We seek our mother

To thank her for life's gift so
Salty tears are shed



6 comments:

  1. A very nice haiku set, O.E. I was there with you all the way. They made me feel the sailor's quest in a way I'd not experienced before.

    Thank you too for this nice prompt word. It was timely for me as I have been relating and showing pictures of our New Zealand-Australia cruise.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Old Egg! I have only been to the ocean three times in my life (the fourth is coming up in April) and yet I am amazed at how it calls to me, and how I long to return to it, just as you have written of so eloquently here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. I, too, hear the siren's song...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said. Both beautifully worded and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this reads almost like a prayer :) Love this - I could imagine myself walking on the beach and hearing the cries of the gulls.

    ReplyDelete