Saturday 30 August 2014

Who is she?


                                         'Conversation' by Renoir 1879


Oh! Who is she, what a blast from the past, did I know her?

There was something about her eyes or was it her hands that rang a bell, a distant nudge in my memory.  Oh, so beautiful it was; like the smell of coffee on a Paris boulevard, the laughter in a passing gondola, the glimpse of a face across a crowded dance floor. Or was it a sweet kiss as New Year was welcomed to shouts and song and she eager, only too willingly offered her lips while on that cruise in the Pacific?

Yes, I knew her but from where and how long ago, I could not fathom.

“I think I may know you” I said tentatively.

She looked me in the eyes, searched them intently, but said not a word but merely shook her head sadly. I wondered,whether that was denial or that she did not wish to remember me nor in fact confirm that I had guessed right.

Finally she spoke, “A thousand years ago you broke my heart”.

Still I could not recall her name or the place or the time.

“You are lucky to have forgotten”, she said then explained, “Yes, we were friends, we talked a lot and we laughed a lot but we did everything together. Our jobs eventually took us in different directions.”

Here she paused to touch the ring on her finger covering it but at the same time turning it too. Was it that she wanted to hide it or even remove it or merely confirm to herself she was now married and shouldn't flirt with me.

Then she said, “You've even forgotten my name haven’t you?”

I shook my head as I recalled my foolishness, I had deceived her. “No, I do remember you now. But if I say your name I will come over and hold you in my arms. Then I won’t let you escape again”.

“I didn't escape; you found someone else and left me crying at the station when you told me. Don’t you remember we adored each other? We were so close but you just had to play the field to make sure.”

She had by now stopped playing with the ring; it had clearly worked its magic and she became a happily married woman once again.

Just then a man walked up and said to her, “I am so sorry I am so late”. He looked at me a then back to her quizzically.

“This is just an old friend from when I was young and stupid. We used to play tennis together”, she explained.

He nodded at me and I tried not to look at him as I bade her farewell saying “Perhaps I’ll see you again in another twenty years.” Then I strode away carrying a big bag of memories and regrets. 

7 comments:

  1. A big bag of memories is a pretty good travel companion...i love the use of the ring and the sense of time...quite where were we.. in reality...or not...maybe a mix of both..now that is good

    ReplyDelete
  2. This takes me back to long ago years of boyfriends and "true loves". Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story with so few words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent story, Old Egg! We all have the occasional encounter from the past, or even just fleeting memories, that make us wonder what if we had chosen differently or taken another path? We won't know the answer to that, at least in this lifetime. But then again, just as you note in your story, if it is someone who is to be part of our destiny they may reappear again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So well written. I thought for a while they had met in an other life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! He hopes to see her in 20 years! That's something when we don't know what's gonna happen in the next minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely sad story...but with a happy ending, I think. Life goes on.

    ReplyDelete