Wednesday 7 October 2015

The Rock Island Line


I was sorting out my Dad’s stuff after he had died; you know all the usual junk that you’d find in an eighty year old man’s home who lived by himself.

A few bits might go the op shops; some furniture could be sold or passed on while the rest would be best taken to the tip.

There were a few sentimental knick-knacks such as photographs and memorabilia that could be kept if they had some memories for the family but for the rest…I just sighed.

It was when I was sorting out an old dresser I found something that intrigued me.

It was a much used copy of a 78rpm record going back the 50’s entitled “Rock Island Line” by The Lonnie Donegan Skiffle Group.

I cried as I remember my mother telling me they used to play it incessantly when she and Dad were courting.

Image found at www.45worlds .com

4 comments:

  1. Oh...im tearing up now. What a gift for you to find that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. time travel (or at least to the extent of being an observer) that's what you got in your hands, dude…. time travel

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing the memories that can be held in music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely story and I hope you find a way to play it again.

    ReplyDelete