Thursday 2 February 2017

Look Mandy


Mandy went with her Mom to visit her Grandma like they always did on Wednesdays.

They would get a cup of tea and a biscuit or slice of fruit cake and Mandy would cuddle her cat on her lap who liked nothing better than to be stroked while Grandma talked.  

As usual Grandma would get out her photograph album and talk about the people whose pictures were there that were uncle and aunts, brothers and cousins who Mandy had never known.

“Look Mandy” her Grandma would say “there’s your Grandpa who fought in the war in his uniform” and then she'd show her lots of other people that were relatives that were little children her age from long time ago.

On the way home in the car Mandy asked her mother why always they looked at the old photos of people she didn’t know.

“Haven’t you noticed she looks at you when she show you the pictures, that’s because she’s looking to see if you share the looks of one of the relatives because you are that link that is so important for her from the sisters and cousins of hers that have now died and she'd like to see a part of them in you to show that the family she knew and loved all those years ago are still alive in you.”

Image found at www.altzheimersblog.org

12 comments:

  1. Seeing the past in the present is a gift

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also a gift to Mandy that she can't yet understand -- this is her heritage. How i'd love to have such photos, and know the names of the people in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet, reminds me of my own Grandmother, she talked and talked about people I didn't know, I only wish I had asked more questions...of course now she is gone...and taken all those people with her. Forever questions without answers....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all Cary pieces of our ancestors. Nice write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so close to my heart as it's 27 years ago this very day that my dear Nan died . I remember sitting with her and looking at photos and her telling me stories of all the people in them. I wish I'd listened more attentively. A lovely piece.

    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me nostalgic too, I remember looking at albums with my grandmother and like Maz, I wish I had asked so many more questions. You have it exactly right that we love seeing glimpses of the past in the future generations. This was a sweet story, Old Egg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little Mandy brings more joy to her grandmother's heart than she can possibly imagine. If only children didn't have to grow up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very true, arguably the closest, if not somewhat abstractly, we get to immortality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet! Hopefully the names and stories get written down, too, so she can remember them when she's grown.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One day she will look in a mirror,understand and treasure those memories. My Silly Six Sentences!


    ReplyDelete
  11. Inever knew my grands but treasure all the old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The feelings of old times would certainly be satisfied through uncanny similarities to the young ones! Very true Robin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete